Cilantro Turkey Patties

A friend of mine sent me a recipe a long time ago for cilantro turkey burgers with chipotle ketchup and given the fact I adore cilantro and chipotle, this became a go to recipe in our house. I often make the turkey burgers but I also make just the patties and serve with rice and salad or just a quick salad, etc. I also serve them with oven fried sweet potatoes as a side dish with just the patty and the chipotle ketchup - delicious and healthy. Here is the recipe I adapted to fit our family and to use ingredients I pretty much always have on hand.

Ingredients:
1 cup dry breadcrumbs

1/4 cup or so minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 pound ground turkey
1 tsp mustard
1 beaten egg
*1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan (sometimes I omit this and it still turns out delicious)
1/2 of a medium onion grated or finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped

For the chipotle ketchup
1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1/4 cup ketchup

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. If the mixture is too wet, I add a little more bread crumbs. Shape into patties and grill until done. You can also do this in a non stick pan using cooking spray but I personally prefer to grill them (and less clean up).
Ketchup:
Mince 1 chile and a little bit of the adobo sauce from the can and combine with the ketchup.
* Tip 1: I keep the remaining sauce and chiles in a zip loc bag in the freezer and use for other recipes when needed.

* Tip 2: You can serve your patties on your favorite hamburger bun with lettuce or with rice and a quick salad. Or with oven fried sweet potatoes - 2 large sweet potatoes cut into 1/2 inch thick fries. Toss with 1 tbsp vegetable, canola or olive oil, 1 tbsp chili powder, and 1 tsp garlic salt (making sure they are all coated with the mixture). Place on a single layer in a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake on a 400 deg oven for 30 mins (turning once).

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts