Time for Chili

Once in a while, my husband likes to eat chili dogs and I like to make them for him. Of course I can't deny the fact that I like them as well but only once in a blue moon :). I will admit I see chili as something that you can just make as you go and it always turns out good. I don't necessarily have a recipe but this time, I used some ingredients I had on hand and I really liked the end product. I started with about 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef that I had prepared to make a sheppards pie so it had tarragon and thyme but that can be ommitted here.

Ingredients
2 med onions chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper chopped
1 jalapeno chopped (I use the seeds to make it a bit more spicy but you can remove if you don't like it too hot)
3 T butter
1-1/2 lbs ground beef (or you could use turkey)
6 oz can tomato paste
1 c beef stock
1 T flour
½ c white wine
1 15 oz can of red chili beans
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 tbsp of ketchup
1/4 cup of your favorite bbq sauce
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt & pepper to taste

Sauté onion, garlic & bell peppers in butter until soft. Turn up heat and add meat and stir until brown. Drain off fat and add tomato paste, flour and broth. Cook for a min. until bubbly then add wine and spices. Simmer for 15 min. Add bbq sauce, ketchup, beans and diced tomatoes and simmer for another 30 mins. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts